Having read these blog posts I'm sure you will appreciate - and if you do, you should certainly pick up a copy of his book: High Performance Web Sites: Rough Cuts Version.
Below are links to the 14 topics Steve has blogged about on the Yahoo! Developer Network blog.
- The Importance of Front-End Performance
- Rule 1 - Make Fewer HTTP Requests
- Rule 2 - Use a Content Delivery Network
- Rule 3 - Add an Expires Header
- Rule 4 - Gzip Components
- Rule 5 – Put Stylesheets at the Top
- Rule 6 – Move Scripts to the Bottom
- Rule 7 – Avoid CSS Expressions
- Rule 9 – Reduce DNS Lookups
- Rule 11 – Avoid Redirects
- Rule 12 – Remove Duplicate Scripts
- Rule 13 – Configure ETags
I hope that helps.
Over and Out